Whether you want to transfer into, out of, or between Salem-Keizer schools, our goal is to help get you where you need to go.
How to Transfer In-District
If you'd like to request your student transfer to another school within Salem-Keizer's district, please make an in-district transfer request. In-district transfer windows are open from November 1-30 and March 1-31 each year.
Please contact your student’s assigned school if you have any questions. Our Schools web page can direct you to school contact information.
Complete an in-district transfer form. Parents and guardians can either obtain a printed version of this form from their school or download a fillable form (for best results use Acrobat to complete and save the form).
Return the completed form to your student’s assigned school.
- In-District Transfer Form, Elementary School
- In-District Transfer Form, Middle School
- In-District Transfer Form, High School
Our in-district transfer procedures provide more detailed information on what to expect during this process.
Electives In-District Transfer
The in‐district transfer process is used to request permission to attend a different school in order to access certain educational programs not offered at a student’s resident school.
Programs Eligible for In-District Transfers
Download the Programs Eligible for In-District Transfer PDF to see what electives qualify.
- There are no guarantees that IDT requests will be approved.
- Bus transportation is not provided for students attending school on an IDT.
- If the course a student wants to take is offered at their home school, they are not eligible for transfer to another school.
- If the number of applicants for a program exceeds the number of available seats, students will be selected by lottery.
- Each student may submit only one IDT form, and may request transfer for only one program. If the program is available at multiple schools, students may list more than one school on the IDT form.
- If selected and registered, students are expected to complete the entire program course sequence. Continuation of the IDT for following years is dependent on continued enrollment in program courses.
- Students who take less than a standard course load or drop from the program will return to their resident school.
How to Transfer Into Salem-Keizer Public Schools
Before a non-resident student can attend school in the Salem-Keizer School District, the student’s current district must approve the student for “release” to another district.
- Start the process by contacting your current assigned school district and complete their transfer form.
- If your current school district approves the transfer, it will send a request to Salem-Keizer’s office of K-12 Education.
- The request is then sent to the principal of your requested school.
- Once a decision is made, parents are notified by phone or letter with instructions on how to begin the registration process.
- To continue your out-of-district transfer during transition to the next level, for example fifth-grade to sixth-grade, or eighth-grade to ninth-grade, please submit a Non-Resident Transfer Intent to Renew form.
How to Transfer Out of Salem-Keizer Public Schools
Before a student residing in our district can attend a school outside our district, Salem-Keizer must approve the student for “release” to another district.
- Start the process by completing a Non-Resident Transfer Request form.
- Review the Procedure for Non-Resident Students to Leave Salem-Keizer Public Schools.
- Submit your completed form and documentation to by fax, email or in-person to:
PO Box 12024
2450 Lancaster Dr. NE, Suite 200
Salem, OR 97309-0024
Follow Up From Requested School District
After processing the request, Salem-Keizer will send the necessary forms to your requested school district. You can expect to hear from the new district by phone or mail regarding their decision to accept the transfer.