In-District Transfer Process Between Schools
The in-district transfer window is open from March 1-31 and from November 1-30. In-district transfer forms will be posted here during those dates.
If you have any questions, please contact your student’s school.
The In‐District Transfer (IDT) process is used to request permission to attend a different school in order to access certain educational programs not offered at a student’s resident school.
Parents and students should be aware of the following:
- There are no guarantees that IDT requests will be approved.
- Bus transportation is not provided for students attending school on an IDT.
- If the course a student wants to take is offered at their home school, they are not eligible for transfer to another school.
- If the number of applicants for a program exceeds the number of available seats, students will be selected by lottery.
- Each student may submit only one IDT form, and may request transfer for only one program. If the program is available at multiple schools, students may list more than one school on the IDT form.
- If selected and registered, students are expected to complete the entire program course sequence. Continuation of the IDT for following years is dependent on continued enrollment in program courses.
- Students who take less than a standard course load or drop from the program will return to their resident school.
Programs Eligible for In-District Transfers
To transfer INTO Salem-Keizer School District
Before a non-resident student can attend school in the Salem-Keizer School District, the student’s current district must approve the student for “release” to another district.
Start the process by contacting your current assigned school district and complete their transfer form. If your current school district approves the transfer, they will send a request to Salem-Keizer’s office of K-12 Education. The request is then sent to the principal of the requested school. Once a decision is made, parents are notified by phone or letter with instructions on how to begin the registration process.
To transfer OUT of Salem-Keizer School District
Before a student residing in our district can attend a school outside our district, Salem-Keizer must approve the student for “release” to another district. To begin the process, please complete a Salem-Keizer Public Schools Non-Resident Transfer Request form.
After processing the request, Salem-Keizer will send the needed forms to the requested school district. Applicants can expect to hear from the new district by phone or mail regarding their decision to accept the transfer. Submit the completed form and documentation by fax, e-mail or in-person to:
Salem-Keizer Public Schools
PO Box 12024
2450 Lancaster Dr. NE, Suite 200
Salem, OR 97309-0024
Nancy Sweeney, Administrative Assistant
Email Nancy Sweeney