Preschool Contact Information
6425 Fruitland Rd NE
Salem, OR 97317
Monday through Friday,
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Head Start Contact Information
Head Start Mailing Address
PO Box 12024
Salem, OR 97309
Head Start Office Physical Address
1850 45th Ave NE
Salem, OR 97305
Monday through Friday,
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Preschool Advantage
During the preschool years, children begin to build the brain structures that will help them be successful students. Attending high-quality preschool nurtures this brain development, and can help smooth a child’s transition into kindergarten.
For these reasons and others, children who attend preschool are more likely to become successful students later on. Salem-Keizer Public Schools coordinates four different programs, Tuition-Based Preschool, Title-Funded Preschool, Preschool Promise, and Head Start Preschool, that serve preschool-age children. Programs and locations vary based on school neighborhood and the child’s financial need.
Tuition-Based Preschool Registration 2018-2019
Open enrollment will begin April 10, 2018, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Families may register any time after April 10th during regular office hours.
- An information packet will need to be filled out at the time of registration (You may download and print off the preschool registration page to fill out ahead of time, but we will require additional paperwork to be filled out in person).
- Copies of immunization records and birth certificates are required for enrollment.
- A non-refundable fee of $80 is due at registration time (check, cash or money order only).
- Your child must be 3 years old on or before September 10, 2018.
Registration is at the Salem-Keizer Preschool Office, 6425 Fruitland Rd NE, Salem, OR 97317.
View the 2018-19 Preschool Brochure with Class Schedule and Fees in the PDF below
- A limited number of partial scholarships are available for families who meet qualifying guidelines. The scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- A discount of 10% for second child enrolled is also available.
The total cost of the program is divided into ten equal payments.
- Payment may be made by check, cash, or money order.
- Make payments payable to Salem-Keizer Preschools and write the student’s name on the memo line.
- Payments are due by the 1st of the month, including payments sent directly from banking institutions.
- A $20 late fee will be charged for payments received after the 6th of the month, $40 will be charged thereafter.
- Continued late payment may result in withdrawal from the program and your account going to collections.
Free Preschool At Eight Title-Funded Schools
Applications will be accepted starting April 1, 2018. For more information call 503-399-5510.
- Classes are offered in morning or afternoon sessions.
- Children age four on or before September 10 are eligible to register.
- Classes are offered in English or Spanish.
- Classes are held at East Salem Community Center, and bus transportation is provided.
- Children must reside in one of the eight attendance areas listed below to qualify. Learn what attendance area your child resides in.
|Title-Funded Preschool Attendance Areas|
Salem-Keizer Head Start
To be eligible for Head Start services, a child must be three or four by September 10 and be from a low-income family (meeting federal income guidelines). Generally, qualifying children live close to the school site they attend, ensuring a successful transition into kindergarten at the same location.
Salem-Keizer Head Start has high standards for children and staff. Staff are highly qualified district employees. The educational team uses ongoing assessment of each child, which enables them to set goals, individualize programs and keep parents informed of their child’s progress throughout the school year.
It is estimated that approximately 50 percent of the program families speak languages other than English. Since Spanish is the most predominant of the other languages spoken, all of the classrooms are staffed with bilingual language support and parent volunteers.
Salem-Keizer Head Start is a state funded program. The Oregon Department of Education monitors the program.
Free Preschool Promise Program
Preschool Promise is a free program available to children who will be three or four years old on or before September 10, 2017. The program is held at four locations, each serving 20 children:
- Baker School, 1515 Saginaw Street S, Salem, OR
- Bethel School, 6580 State Street, Salem, OR
- Chapman Hill Elementary, 1500 Doaks Ferry Rd NW, Salem, OR
- Hallman Elementary, 4000 Deerhaven Dr NE, Salem OR
Each classroom is staffed with a teacher and a bilingual instructional assistant. Bus transportation is available to and from the program locations.
Families must meet income guidelines to be eligible for the program. Interested parents are asked to submit an application form, and download the Preschool Promise flyer for more information.
To register, please visit the East Salem Community Center, 1850 45th Ave. NE, Salem, OR, or call 503-399-5510 with questions.