Rider Registration Process
Salem-Keizer Public Schools requires bus-rider registration in some areas of the district. The benefits of Rider Registration include:
- Enhanced student safety: students board the correct bus, limits bus overcrowding, helps improve student conduct, restricts unauthorized riders
- More accurate communication with parents
- Cost savings from routing efficiencies
Who Needs to Register
Any transportation-eligible student attending one of the schools listed below that wants to ride the school bus to and/or from school needs to be registered. Students must register for bus service every school year.
- Battle Creek Elementary School
- Brush College Elementary School
- Chávez Elementary School
- Chapman Hill Elementary School
- Forest Ridge Elementary School
- Harritt Elementary School
- Kalapuya Elementary School
- Myers Elementary School
- Optimum Learning Environments Charter School
- Straub Middle School
- Walker Middle School
- West Salem High School
Transportation-eligible means that the student lives at a residence within their neighborhood school attendance boundary, and the residence is outside the State of Oregon defined walk zone for that school. The walk zones are 1.0 mile for elementary students and 1.5 miles for secondary students.
Registration forms are accepted and processed all year. Please complete a form as soon as possible for fall service.
Please complete and return a registration form as soon as possible. Be sure to check the appropriate box at the top of the form (Eligible Rider, Space Available Rider, or Not Sure).
Pick up your Rider Registration form
- Download the PDF file of Registration form located to the right. Available in English or Spanish.
- or registration forms can also be picked up at your school office.
- or forms can also be picked up at Transportation Services (map) between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. weekdays.
Return the Rider Registration form by one of the following means:
Bus Transportation Frequently Asked Questions
Contact your school or Transportation Services at 503-399-3100.
Except for the start of the school year, students who are eligible should be assigned to a stop within five working days after the registration form is received (at the start of each school year, bus stops and routes information is released in mid-August.)
The school will notify eligible riders. For secondary students, the student will be called to the office to have a security sticker attached to their ID/ASB card. For elementary students, the office will notify the parent with bus and stop information.
You don’t need to fill out a Rider Registration form for bus transportation to sporting events or field trips.
Your student can still receive service. Please turn in a registration form as soon as possible (fill in the start date on the registration form) or at least 10 days prior to the day you need service to start.