Participate in an essay contest sponsored by Salem Keizer NAACP, Branch 1166!
- Open to elementary school students – approximately 250–300 words – prize $75
- Open to middle school students – approximately 500–750 words – prize $150
- Open to high school students – approximately 800–1,000 words – prize $250
If Mr. Booker T. Washington was alive today what do you think he would say about America’s progress with race and equity? [Source: Up From Slavery, 1901]
- Deadline to submit essay is June 2, 2022
- Winners will be announced on June 13, 2022
Submit your essay
You can also mail your essay to:
P.O. Box 13068
Rubrics for evaluating essays include understanding, organization, mechanics, originality (expression of the theme in creative ways). Essay types may be exposition, description, narrative, compare-contrast, or persuasive.