Salem-Keizer elementary schools will begin accepting kindergarten registrations for the 2019-20 school year on Tuesday, March 5, 2019.
Children who will be five years old on or before Sept. 10, 2019 are eligible to register
For information about registering for kindergarten, call your assigned school or the Office of K-12 Education at 503-399-2632.
Find Your Child’s Assigned School
If you are not sure which school is in your neighborhood area, find your school based on the address where your child lives with our Online School Finder. You can also call the Boundary Information line Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 503-399-3246.
What You Need to Register for Kindergarten
In order to register a child for kindergarten, parents must provide:
- Your child’s birth certificate as proof of age.
- Proof of residence.
- An updated record of your child’s immunizations.
Parents can help their children get ready to start kindergarten by helping them:
- Hold and use a pencil, crayon and scissors correctly.
- Write their name with correct capital and lower case letters.
- Identify numbers, basic shapes, colors and patterns.
- Learn how to take turns and share with others.
- Follow simple rules, routines and directions.
- Identify the letters of the alphabet.
New state standards have elevated learning expectations for all students. Once considered a transitional year between home and school, kindergarten now represents a child’s first year of formal education.
If you have questions about how to help your child get ready for kindergarten, please contact your school principal.
All Salem-Keizer elementary schools are committed to helping each kindergarten student make as much social and academic progress as possible, while developing confidence and a love of learning. School principals and staff are here to help your student take this important first step into education.
Getting a great start in school will help your child get a great start in life. Children do better in school, and enjoy school more, when they enter kindergarten with a few basic skills.
Students entering kindergarten in many of our Title IA-funded elementary schools have the opportunity to attend a free kindergarten preparation program this summer called Jumpstart Kinder this summer. Jumpstart Kinder is tentatively scheduled for August 5–9, 2019, from approximately 8 a.m. to noon for select elementary schools.
- Kindergarten Readiness – CCTV Production (English)
- Kindergarten Readiness – CCTV Production (Spanish)
- PDF: Getting Ready for Kindergarten Workbook (English)
- PDF: Getting Ready for Kindergarten Workbook (Spanish)
- PDF: Kindergarten Orientation Presentation (English)
- PDF: Kindergarten Orientation Presentation (Spanish)