Once considered a transitional year between home and school, kindergarten now represents a child’s first year of formal education.
All Salem-Keizer elementary schools are committed to helping each kindergarten student make as much social and academic progress as possible, while developing confidence and a love of learning. School principals and staff are here to help your student take this important first step into education.
Kindergarten registration for the 2023-24 school year will open March 1, 2023! Enrolling your child in school early allows your child’s school to prepare for the best possible education for your child, including planning for classrooms and teachers, as well as giving your child the time, support and resources to prepare for the incoming school year.
Children who will be five years old on or before Sept. 10, 2023, are eligible to register.
For information about registering for kindergarten, call your assigned school or call the Office of K-12 Education at 503-399-2632.
Parents who prefer to fill out a paper form rather than doing the online registration process may do so by downloading the form in English or Spanish.
Email completed registration forms to the Elementary Education office.
Find Your Child’s Assigned School
If you are not sure which school is in your neighborhood area, find your school based on the address where your child lives with our Online School Finder. You can also call the Boundary Information line Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 503-399-3246.
What You Need to Register for Kindergarten
To register a child for kindergarten, we ask families to please provide:
- An updated record of your child’s immunizations – See Immunization Requirements for more information
- A document to show proof of age
- A document to show proof of residence
Getting a great start in school will help your child get a great start in life. Children do better in school and enjoy school more when they enter kindergarten with a few basic skills. If you have questions about how to help your child get ready for kindergarten, please contact your school principal.
- Kindergarten Readiness – CCTV Production (English)
- Kindergarten Readiness – CCTV Production (Spanish)
- PDF: Getting Ready for Kindergarten Workbook (English)
- PDF: Getting Ready for Kindergarten Workbook (Spanish)
- Webpage: Salem-Keizer Bus & Transportation Basics
- Website: Vroom Brain Building Activities
Help children get kindergarten-ready
- Hold and use a pencil, crayon and scissors correctly.
- Write their name with correct capital and lower case letters.
- Identify numbers, basic shapes, colors and patterns.
- Learn how to take turns and share with others.
- Follow simple rules, routines and directions.
- Identify the letters of the alphabet.