In the event of bad weather, district officials will make the decision by 5:15 a.m. that day to close all or selected schools or to delay the start of school.
First information is sent to the Emergency Messages website linked to below, then specific news media listed below are notified of the closures and delays. If no announcement is made it’s safe to assume that the district is operating as usual.
Messages will also be posted to SKPS’s Facebook and Twitter pages.
School Messenger Telephone Notification
If schools are closed or start times delayed, all students and staff will get a recorded message to the phone number on record with the district. This message will tell you about school cancellation, delay to start times, or district closure. Calls begin going out at 6 a.m. Make sure your contact information is up to date.
- Families who need to update their phone number should contact their school.
- Staff should go on the Employee Self Services website and update their information.
The media will mention the district only if there is a delay or closure. If you do not hear any information, it’s safe to assume district schools are open or have resumed their regular schedule.
When Schools Open 2 Hours Late
- Morning buses will run two hours later than normal.
- District morning preschools will be cancelled.
- District afternoon preschools, unless specifically closed, will be on normal schedule.
- Head Start AM preschools will be cancelled, but afternoon preschool will be open.
Early Dismissal Due to Bad Weather
Each school has an emergency plan in case of early dismissal due to inclement weather. Contact your child’s school for more information regarding their emergency plan.