About the District’s emergency closures and delays process
In the event of bad weather, district officials will make the decision by 5:15 a.m. that day to close all or selected schools or to delay the start of school.
First information is sent to the Emergency Messages website linked to below, then specific news media listed below are notified of the closures and delays. If no announcement is made it’s safe to assume that the district is operating as usual.
Messages will also be posted to SKPS’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
If schools are closed or start times delayed, all families and staff will be notified through the ParentSquare communication tool. Notification may be sent as a phone message, text message, email and/or push notification for app users.
Please make sure your contact information is up to date.
- Families can update contact information through ParentVUE or by contacting their school.
- Staff should go on the Employee Self Services website and update their information.
Salem-Keizer Public Schools is now using the ParentSquare platform for district, school and teacher communications, primarily with email, text and app notifications. ParentSquare automatically generates an account for each parent/guardian, using their preferred email address and phone number.
Download the app or log into the ParentSquare web portal using the contact email used for your child’s school.
Download ParentSquare App – App Store
Download ParentSquare App – Google Play
Local Media Announcements
The media will mention the district only if there is a delay or closure. If you do not hear any information, it’s safe to assume district schools are open or have resumed their regular schedule.
When Schools Open 2 Hours Late
- Morning buses will run two hours later than normal.
- District morning preschools will be cancelled.
- District afternoon preschools, unless specifically closed, will be on normal schedule.
- Head Start AM preschools will be cancelled, but afternoon preschool will be open.
Early Dismissal Due to Bad Weather
Each school has an emergency plan in case of early dismissal due to inclement weather. Contact your child’s school for more information regarding their emergency plan.