Head Start Registration Information
To be eligible for Head Start services, a child must be three or four by September 10 and be from a low-income family (meeting federal income guidelines). Generally, qualifying children live close to the school site they attend, ensuring a successful transition into kindergarten at the same location.
Head Start Application
Head Start applications are available at the school sites, at the links to the right, or by contacting the Head Start central office at 503-399-5510.
- Salem-Keizer Head Start and Community Action Head Start use the same application to qualify families. The family’s residence will determine which program will best serve the family.
- Proof of income to determine federal income eligibility, birth certificate and immunizations must accompany the application in order to complete the process.
- Applications are scored when they are received at the central office. Scores are determined by income and child/family needs.
- Eligible families are contacted to complete the required program paperwork. Families will be notified by mail if they are placed on the waiting list. We can only have 20 children in each classroom.
- As children drop from the program, new children are added from the waiting list.
- Returning children are re-enrolled in May for the following school year.
- Program applications are sent to elementary schools in April, in order to begin the enrollment process for the following year.