About the Budget Committee
The budget committee is a 14-member group consisting of the Salem-Keizer School Board and seven appointed volunteer community members. The committee is an advisory group established by statute to make budgetary recommendations to the school board. Budget committee appointees serve three-year terms and may apply for additional service.
The budget committee conducts public meetings and reviews the budget proposed by the superintendent. Community members are encouraged to attend these meetings and provide comments.
Local budget law requires that the budget committee hold at least one meeting for the following purpose:
- Receiving the budget message and budget document from the superintendent
- Providing community members with an opportunity to ask questions about and comment on the budget
The district provides public notice of meeting(s) in the Salem Statesman Journal. The budget message is usually delivered by the superintendent in mid-April, and public hearings are usually held in May.
Please Note: This committee meets as needed. For information on upcoming meeting dates, contact Alice Struckmeier, school board secretary, at 503-399-3001, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Budget Committee Members
- Kathleen Harder, June 30, 2020
- Levi Herrera-Lopez, June 30, 2019
- Cynthia Stinson, June 30, 2020
- Adriana Miranda, June 30, 2021
- Tyson Pruett, June 30, 2021
- Virginia Stapleton, June 30, 2020
- Rachel Dewey-Thorsett, June 30, 2019
School Board Budget Committee Members
- Sheronne Blasi
- Kathy Goss
- Jim Green
- Marty Heyen
- Paul Kyllo
- Chuck Lee
- Jesse Lippold
Budget Committee Meetings 2019
Public meetings of the Budget Committee of Salem-Keizer Public Schools 24J/32, Marion and Polk Counties, State of Oregon, will be held on the following dates to discuss the budget for the fiscal year July 1, 2019, to June 30, 2020:
- April 23, 2019—Election of chair and vice chair; Superintendent’s Budget Message will be received; distribution of the 2019-20 Proposed Budget; no public comment received
- April 30, 2019—Budget Committee deliberation; no public comment received
- May 7, 2019—Budget Committee deliberation; public comment* received
- May 20-21, 2019—Public comment* received; deliberations on proposed budget until approved/recommended to the school board for adoption
- May 22-23, 2019—Tentative if budget not approved by May 21; public comment* may or may not be received; deliberations on proposed budget until approved/recommended to the school board for adoption, additional meetings may be necessary if budget not recommended by May 23
Meetings will begin at 6 p.m. and will be held at the Support Services Center located at 2575 Commercial Street SE, Salem, Oregon.
Meeting dates/times will be posted on the district website on the Budget Committee webpage.
A copy of the 2019-20 Proposed Budget may be inspected or obtained after April 23, 2019, at 2450 Lancaster Drive NE, Suite 220, Salem, Oregon, between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm or on the district website at Salem-Keizer District Website.
For further information, call Financial Services at 503-399-3021.
*Public comment will be taken and any person may appear at the meeting and comment on the proposed budget.