About the Budget Committee
The budget committee is a 14-member group consisting of the Salem-Keizer School Board and seven appointed volunteer community members. The committee is an advisory group established by statute to make budgetary recommendations to the school board. Budget committee appointees serve three-year terms and may apply for additional service.
The budget committee conducts public meetings and reviews the budget proposed by the superintendent. Community members are encouraged to attend these meetings and provide comments.
Local budget law requires that the budget committee hold at least one meeting for the following purpose:
- Receiving the budget message and budget document from the superintendent
- Providing community members with an opportunity to ask questions about and comment on the budget
The district provides public notice of meeting(s) in the Salem Statesman Journal. The budget message is usually delivered by the superintendent in mid-April, and public hearings are usually held in May.
Please Note: This committee meets as needed. For information on upcoming meeting dates, contact Alice Struckmeier, school board secretary, at 503-399-3001, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Budget Committee Members
- Kathleen Harder, June 30, 2020
- Levi Herrera-Lopez, June 30, 2019
- Adam Kohler, June 30, 2020
- Adriana Miranda, June 30, 2021
- Tyson Pruett, June 30, 2021
- Virginia Stapleton, June 30, 2020
- Rachel Dewey-Thorsett, June 30, 2019
School Board Budget Committee Members
- Sheronne Blasi
- Kathy Goss
- Jim Green
- Marty Heyen
- Paul Kyllo
- Chuck Lee
- Jesse Lippold
Budget Committee Meetings 2019
- February 26 – Informational/Organizational meeting
- March 19 – Informational/Organizational
- April 23 – Superintendent’s Budget Message
- May 7 – Presentations and Prioritize
- May 14 – Follow-up to Superintendent’s Budget Message
- May 20 – Public Testimony and Deliberations
- May 21 – Public Testimony and Deliberations
- May 22 – Tentative (if budget not approved May 21)
- May 23 – Tentative (if budget not approved May 22)
- June 11 – Board Meeting with Budget Hearing/Adoption
Meetings are held at the district’s Support Services Center located at 2575 Commercial Street SE, Salem and normally begin at 6 p.m., unless indicated otherwise. Agendas to be posted in advance of meetings.