Emergency Closures & Delays
Notifications of District Emergency Closures & Delays
In the event of bad weather, district officials will make the decision whether or not to close or delay schools as early as possible. If no announcement is made it’s safe to assume that the district is operating as usual.
- First, information is sent to our Flash Alert emergency message website.
- Then, specific news media listed below are notified of the closures and delays.
- Messages will also be posted to Salem Keizer Public Schools (SKPS)’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
- ParentSquare notifications will be sent out.
ParentSquare & StudentSquare Notifications
If schools are closed or start times delayed, all families and staff will be notified through ParentSquare and StudentSquare. Notifications may be sent as a phone message, text message, email and/or push notification for app users.
- KXL 101 FM - FM News
- KWIP 880 AM y 103.9 FM (Español) - La Compeona
- KWBY 940 AM y 1460 AM y KSND 95.1 FM (Español) - La Pantera
- KEX 1190 AM - News Radio
- KSLM 1220 AM and 104.3 FM
- KYKN 1430 AM
- KBZY 1490 AM
- KMUZ 88.5 FM and 100.7 FM - Community Radio
- KOPB 91.5 FM
- KYCH 97.1 FM - Charlie FM
- KMWV 98.3 FM (6 p.m. - 10 a.m.) CCTV
- KTUP 98.3 FM (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.) Español - Radio Poder
- KKRZ 100.3 FM - Z100
- KRSK 105.1 FM - The Buzz
- KATU Channel 2
- KOIN Channel 6
- KGW Channel 8
- KPTV Channel 12
The Statesman Journal
Delays & Early Dismissal
When Schools Open 2 Hours Late
- Morning buses will run two hours later than normal.
- District morning preschools will be canceled.
- District afternoon preschools, unless specifically closed, will be on normal schedule.
- Head Start AM preschools will be canceled, but afternoon preschool will be open.
Early Dismissal Due to Bad Weather
Each school has an emergency plan in case of early dismissal due to inclement weather. Contact your child’s school for more information regarding their emergency plan.
School District Staff
As a member of Salem-Keizer staff, if you are unsure if you should report to work during inclement weather or other emergency please refer to Reporting During Inclement Weather, HUM-A002.
Late Start - Licensed Staff
When school is delayed district-wide due to inclement weather, licensed staff's reporting time is delayed by the same amount of time as it is for the students. For example, if the start of the school day is delayed by 2 hours, then licensed staff reporting time is delayed 2 hours from their normal reporting time.
Late Start - Classified Staff
Classified staff reporting time is also delayed by the same amount of time as the students, except for the following: 12-month employees and those who are designated as essential staff (i.e., office managers, custodial, maintenance, transportation mechanics and support staff) are to begin at their normal start time or as soon as it is safe.