Emergency Closures & Delays
Notifications of District Emergency Closures & Delays
In the event of bad weather, district officials will make the decision whether or not to close or delay schools as early as possible. If no announcement is made it’s safe to assume that the district is operating as usual.
- First, information is sent to our Flash Alert emergency message website.
- Then, specific news media listed below are notified of the closures and delays.
- Messages will also be posted to Salem Keizer Public Schools (SKPS)’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
- ParentSquare notifications will be sent out.
If schools are closed or start times delayed, all families and staff will be notified through ParentSquare. Notifications may be sent as a phone message, text message, email and/or push notification for app users.
Download the ParentSquare App
Salem-Keizer Public Schools uses ParentSquare for district, school and teacher communications. ParentSquare automatically generates an account for each parent/guardian using their preferred email address and phone number.
- Download ParentSquare Apple Store App
- Download ParentSquare Google Play App
- Login to the ParentSquare web portal using the contact email used for your child’s school
Update your ParentSquare Contact Information
- Families can update contact information through ParentVUE or by contacting their school.
- Staff should go on the Employee Self Services website and update their information.
Local Media Announcements
The media will mention the district only if there is a delay or closure. If you do not hear any information, it's safe to assume district schools are open or have resumed their regular schedule.
- KXL 101 FM - FM News
- KWIP 880 AM y 103.9 FM (Español) - La Compeona
- KWBY 940 AM y 1460 AM y KSND 95.1 FM (Español) - La Pantera
- KEX 1190 AM - News Radio
- KSLM 1220 AM and 104.3 FM
- KYKN 1430 AM
- KBZY 1490 AM
- KMUZ 88.5 FM and 100.7 FM - Community Radio
- KOPB 91.5 FM
- KYCH 97.1 FM - Charlie FM
- KMWV 98.3 FM (6 p.m. - 10 a.m.) CCTV
- KTUP 98.3 FM (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.) Español - Radio Poder
- KKRZ 100.3 FM - Z100
- KRSK 105.1 FM - The Buzz
Emergency Notifications in Spanish
Delays & Early Dismissal
When Schools Open 2 Hours Late
- Morning buses will run two hours later than normal.
- District morning preschools will be canceled.
- District afternoon preschools, unless specifically closed, will be on normal schedule.
- Head Start AM preschools will be canceled, but afternoon preschool will be open.
Early Dismissal Due to Bad Weather
Each school has an emergency plan in case of early dismissal due to inclement weather. Contact your child’s school for more information regarding their emergency plan.
School District Staff
As a member of Salem-Keizer staff, if you are unsure if you should report to work during inclement weather or other emergency please refer to Reporting During Inclement Weather, HUM-A002.
Late Start - Licensed Staff
When school is delayed district-wide due to inclement weather, licensed staff's reporting time is delayed by the same amount of time as it is for the students. For example, if the start of the school day is delayed by 2 hours, then licensed staff reporting time is delayed 2 hours from their normal reporting time.
Late Start - Classified Staff
Classified staff reporting time is also delayed by the same amount of time as the students, except for the following: 12-month employees and those who are designated as essential staff (i.e., office managers, custodial, maintenance, transportation mechanics and support staff) are to begin at their normal start time or as soon as it is safe.