Web Accessibility Statement

Salem-Keizer School District 24J is committed to ensuring accessibility of its website for students, parents, and members of the community with disabilities so that these constituents may independently acquire the same information, engage in the same interactions, and enjoy the same benefits and services as those without disabilities.

We’re always trying to improve our website and we can use your help to make it better. Of course, we’re most interested in fixing critical website features that are inaccessible, so if you encounter an accessibility problem on our website, please tell us about it so we can try to fix it.

Web Accessibility Reporting

Provide feedback

The best reporting method is to use our online “Website Accessibility Concern or Complaint” form by clicking on the button below. You will be asked to include the web address (URL) of the page or document that needs accessibility improvement along with a description of the problem or problems you encountered.

Use the Online Form to submit a complaint

Please fill out the form below by clicking on the “Submit a Website Accessibility Concern or Complaint” button below. Your contact information will be held in strict confidence.

Use our Contact Us form for concerns not related to web accessibility, so we may route your request appropriately.

This form is for submitting website accessibility issues ONLY.

Submit a Website Accessibility Concern or Complaint

Mail or fax a letter

If you prefer you can can submit a letter with the following information:

  • your name
  • contact information (email address, phone number, address)
  • the web address (URL) of the problem page
  • description of the inaccessibility issue encountered
  • recommended accommodations or solutions

Fax your letter to 503-391-4037 or mail your correspondence to

Attention: Web Accessibility
Technology & Information Systems
Salem-Keizer Public Schools
2450 Lancaster Drive NE
Salem, Oregon 97305

Thank you for bringing this matter to Salem-Keizer School District’s attention. The complaint or grievance will be investigated by the Technology Department. You may be contacted if more information is needed to process your complaint.

You can learn more about the District’s general complaint process here.